We are the South East Essex branch of the Campaign for Real Ale, set up in 1974 to pursue CAMRA's objectives at a local level. We are made up of over 1000 members living within our branch area, being a mixture of male and female, young and not-so-young, from different occupations and backgrounds, but all having one thing in common - the love of good quality cask conditioned beer.
We hold monthly branch and committee meetings, where branch business is conducted, as well as social activities. We run the Rochford Beer Festival that is held annually at the Freight House in November.
Branch meetings :
Our branch meetings are usually held on the first Tuesday of every month. Here we learn about what's happening within our branch area, for example, upcoming beer festivals, pub closures and refurbishments, and updates from CAMRA HQ on items of national interest such as changes to laws and current campaigns. We discuss and select entries for the "Good Beer Guide" and local awards such as "Pub of the Year", and organise campaigns on a local level when necessary. As these meetings are held in either a pub or club, there are many opportunities to sample the ales on offer during the frequent beer breaks. There may also be a real Cider or Perry available. You do not have to be a member to attend our branch meetings so why not come along to one. See our Branch Diary for dates.
Pub-crawls and coach trips, which can either be local or to places outside of our branch, and revolve around beer or cider and perry. Other activities that we hold are social meetings at particular events such as the "Great British Beer Festival", the occasional quiz night and a Christmas social. For further information, please see the Branch Diary.
The threat of pub and brewery closure, the high rate of duty levied on beer, the reality that nine out of ten pints sold in Britain contain less than 100% liquid, all give cause for concern. They restrict drinkers' choice, affect consumer rights and can damage communities.
CAMRA has often been described as Europe's most successful consumer organization with over 120,000 members nationwide. We play our part by promoting and publicising good quality real ale and cider at every opportunity; by actively campaigning to save pubs and breweries from closure, both locally and nationally; by seeking to preserve the historical, cultural and architectural character of pubs in our area; and by protecting and improving consumer rights. If you would like further information or just a chat about our branch, please come along to any of our activities.
Twitter / SEEssexCAMRA
- Tuesday, 07:50 : BlackBar and Beer Festivals: blackbar.co.uk/blackbar-brewe…
- Friday, 20:08 : RT @HopBeerShop: Currently enjoying @BishopNick brewery's new beer Fete! Lovely, rich, citrusy golden ale single-hopped with Cascade. Come & get some!
- Thursday, 19:56 : RT @1970sBOY: The logos for S&N, Younger's, McEwan's, and Newcastle Breweries on an old conditioning tank at @GeorgesBrewery pic.twitter.com/SxNpOYoqvE
- Wednesday 18th May, 22:54 : RT @fullpint: Couple look for suggestions to make pub community orientated bit.ly/1U07Sg9
- Wednesday 18th May, 07:04 : RT @GeorgesBrewery: Time to mash in a third gyle of Checkpoint Charlie 4.0% ! pic.twitter.com/qIVeSTPXNb
- Wednesday 11th May, 15:29 : RT @TheIndyBest: Bored of the usual cider suspects? Try these delicious alternatives from abroad, as tasted by @ThirstyGardener ind.pn/1rVyw0r
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Friday, 16:33 : York's the place to be this Saturday revitalisation.camra.org.uk/news/
- Thursday 19th May, 07:30 : On Saturday we take the consultation to York! Will you be there?! #GetInvolved ow.ly/VSne300i1Nd
- Wednesday 18th May, 11:27 : Delighted to have hosted Beer Parliamentarian of the year, @LordRoyKennedy, at the APPG Beer Group Awards Dinner: ow.ly/i/juey5
- Tuesday 17th May, 20:01 : RT @holcottagesuk: Love your local pub? Find out why @CAMRA_Official are supporting our latest campaign: goo.gl/4xaN6T pic.twitter.com/rdT0lyFOtT
- Wednesday 18th May, 10:11 : A purpose-built dementia pub hopes to improve people's social life and wellbeing in Lancashire #wellbeingweds ow.ly/7JAM300jL7T
- Tuesday 17th May, 13:30 : RT @holcottagesuk: Check out our brand new campaign supported by @CAMRA_Official to highlight the importance of British pub culture! goo.gl/XFM5CS