We are the South East Essex branch of the Campaign for Real Ale, set up in 1974 to pursue CAMRA's objectives at a local level. We are made up of over 1000 members living within our branch area, being a mixture of male and female, young and not-so-young, from different occupations and backgrounds, but all having one thing in common - the love of good quality cask conditioned beer.
We hold monthly branch and committee meetings, where branch business is conducted, as well as social activities. We run the Rochford Beer Festival that is held annually at the Freight House in November.
Branch meetings :
Our branch meetings are usually held on the first Tuesday of every month. Here we learn about what's happening within our branch area, for example, upcoming beer festivals, pub closures and refurbishments, and updates from CAMRA HQ on items of national interest such as changes to laws and current campaigns. We discuss and select entries for the "Good Beer Guide" and local awards such as "Pub of the Year", and organise campaigns on a local level when necessary. As these meetings are held in either a pub or club, there are many opportunities to sample the ales on offer during the frequent beer breaks. There may also be a real Cider or Perry available. You do not have to be a member to attend our branch meetings so why not come along to one. See our Branch Diary for dates.
Pub-crawls and coach trips, which can either be local or to places outside of our branch, and revolve around beer or cider and perry. Other activities that we hold are social meetings at particular events such as the "Great British Beer Festival", the occasional quiz night and a Christmas social. For further information, please see the Branch Diary.
The threat of pub and brewery closure, the high rate of duty levied on beer, the reality that nine out of ten pints sold in Britain contain less than 100% liquid, all give cause for concern. They restrict drinkers' choice, affect consumer rights and can damage communities.
CAMRA has often been described as Europe's most successful consumer organization with over 120,000 members nationwide. We play our part by promoting and publicising good quality real ale and cider at every opportunity; by actively campaigning to save pubs and breweries from closure, both locally and nationally; by seeking to preserve the historical, cultural and architectural character of pubs in our area; and by protecting and improving consumer rights. If you would like further information or just a chat about our branch, please come along to any of our activities.
Twitter / SEEssexCAMRA
- Thursday, 18:38 : Three pubs targeted by thieves withing three days of each other sparking warnings to other businesses echo-news.co.uk/news/15250407.…
- Thursday, 12:37 : Pub wins award for its cider hillingdontimes.co.uk/news/15250556.…
- Thursday, 12:08 : Pub numbers fall; convenience stores spread, with biggest changes in deprived areas sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/pubs-a… via @sheffielduni
- Wednesday, 13:39 : Read The SE Essex CAMRA Daily ▸ today's top stories via @kmflett @bushcraftbeer @OldratEssex paper.li/SEEssexCAMRA/1…
- Tuesday, 13:35 : List of National Trust Pubs: thetweedpig.com/2017/04/full-l…
- Tuesday, 10:48 : RT @GHBeerco: @brooodbars We've made an executive decision to cease plans for casking for the forseeable future. We're inundated… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 18:30 : Help support the pub trade by taking part in a #CheersToBeer to celebrate @BeerDayBritain on June 15th at 7pm!
- Thursday, 09:45 : It’s not long now until the National Cider and Perry Championships. Keep an eye on our feed on Saturday for coverage! #RBF17
- Wednesday, 13:35 : We're looking forward to the National Cider and Perry Championships, which will be judged at @Readingbeerfest this weekend! #RBF17
- Monday, 19:05 : If you're hosting a #MildMonth event this May, don't forget to send the details to email@example.com so we can add it to our listings!
- Monday, 08:55 : RT @CAMRABooks: Historic Coaching Inns of the Great North Road by @RogerProtz is now available! Order your copy here today:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Monday, 12:50 : But it doesn’t end there, @BeerDayBritain has been extended to run over the long weekend until June 18th #CheersToBeer